Home Forums What is Art? Art History? What is Art? What is Art History? Reply To: What is Art? What is Art History?

#5943
Sam Saccomen

Part 1:
What is art?
After searching on google I read that “Art is something we do, a verb. Art is an expression of our thoughts, emotions, intuitions, and desires, but it is even more personal than that: it’s about sharing the way we experience the world, which for many is an extension of personality.” I believe this is a great explanation of art. Art isn’t just something someone made, it was their mark on the world and their perspective of the world around them. Art is a way to understand someone better and get to know them before even meeting them. Art gives everyone the ability to express how they are feeling inside.

Part 2:
What is art history?
Although I do think “the academic study of the history and development of painting, sculpture, and the other visual arts.” is a great definition of art history, I believe it missed a few things. Art history takes us back in time to how people expressed themselves back in various times. We can understand their emotions and hardships through various works of art around the world. We can see the good times of back then. We also can see how various areas around the world used art to communicate among one another. Art history isn’t just an academic study but all we have to learn the people before us.