ART F261X – Final Project Instructions
20% of final grade
DUE WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 14
Recreation Project and Reflection Paper
To complete this project please do the following things:
1. Choose a work from the prehistoric era to the 14th century (the time periods we are covering in class). This can be something that has been discussed and is in one of the the museum wings or something that you find on your own.
2. Change the medium of the work. For example if the original piece is carved out of stone you can recreate it using paint, printmaking, metal, wood, photography, etc. If the original piece is a painting please recreate it through drawing, printmaking, metal, wood, photography, etc. (If you want to use a different painting technique, please run it by me first). Keep in mind that this is a opportunity to be creative — I once had a student recreate a painting in Sculpey.
3. Change the design of the object by at least 20%. This is in keeping with current (and extremely vague) copyright laws and will also require you to think creatively about the project and not just copy it outright. For example, you could choose to change the content, reinterpret the message, or reproduce just part of an image.
4. Write a 2-3 page analysis of the project and your experience working on it. This can include a discussion of what worked and what didn’t, a self-reflection on the creative process, an explanation of the changes you made and why you chose to make them, or any number of other topics that reference the work that you did. This paper is worth half of your grade for the project so please take it seriously. Please submit completed Reflection Papers through Canvas.
5. Post your finished work on the Slack channel called #final-projects. You should post a video, slide presentation, or other visual material along with a short explanation of the project.
6. Respond to at least two of your fellow students’ final projects on Slack. Please keep comments constructive.