Home Forums What is Art? Art History? What is Art? What is Art History? Reply To: What is Art? What is Art History?

#5714
Kaitlyn
Participant

1. The first definition says art is “the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.’I think this is too simple. The second states art as being “the expression of application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.’ I really like that this definition includes that art can be any work that is appreciated for its beauty or emotional power. In my personal opinion I think good art has to make you feel something, whether that be noticing how pretty a painting is, or a much deeper emotional response.

2. I found a definition that states “Art history is the study of objects of in their historical development and stylistic contexts; that is genre, design, format, and style. The study includes painting, sculpture, architecture, ceramics, furniture, and other decorative objects.’ I think it’s important to study the history of art to see what was influential to people in different time periods all around the world. I think art is an easier way to relate or understand the past, versus reading a textbook, looking through past art can helps show you how the world has changed over time.