Hello everyone and welcome to Week 5 of ART F261X.
Please do the following before 11:59pm, sunday September 26.
Grant Proposal #1 is also due by 11:59pm, Sunday September 26.
1. Go through the material in the Art of the Ancient Aegean wing.
2. Respond to the discussion questions posted in the Slack channels #week5part1 and #week5part2. Remember to comment on at least two of your classmate’s responses.
Slack channel #week5part1
- Leisure and War: Minoan culture, from our contemporary perspective, is often seen as carefree and peaceful. People lived in harmony with their environment. The Mycenaeans, on the other hand, seemed to constantly engage in conflict. While this is likely an oversimplified view, how do you see it either proven or disproven through their visual record?
Slack channel #week5part2
- Myth Becomes History: Two ‘gentleman archaeologists,’ Sir Arthur Evans and Heinrich Schliemann, are responsible for much of what we know about Minoan and Mycenaean culture and art. These men were not objective observers but had their own culturally specific agendas. How have their conclusions colored how we look at art of the ancient Aegean world?
3. Submit your first Grant Proposal through Canvas.