Home Forums Graven Images Graven Images Reply To: Graven Images

csayreswoody
Participant

The Second Commandment warns against the creation of images that could be used as false idols. “Do not have any other gods before Me. Do not represent [such] gods by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land. Do not bow down to [such gods] or worship them. I am God your Lord, a God who demands exclusive worship.’ (Exodus 20:3-6) How does art in early Jewish and Christian art reflect or circumvent this?

The Jewish and Christian art mainly shows us the many places where worship took place and how they worship. However I don’t see where there were any gods in the art work. It showed how they worship their god and even the places where actually worship. Also if their god is picture in the art work and they are worshiping a god how can you tell or know because in most of the art work everyone looks the same or seems to be doing the same thing. I think the Jewish and Christian art was made just symbolize what worship means and is for them.