Home Forums Progression or regression? Progression or regression? Reply To: Progression or regression?

Kaitlyn
Participant

While I could see both sides of the argument, I guess it could depend on your personal values and what you think makes art progressive. In my opinion I see the Hellenistic period as very progressive. It takes the some of the amazing perfect proportions, and details of the human body that were so popular in the classical period and then applies those tools to make more realistic, relatable art. The Hellenistic period artworks show more emotion than most of the previous pieces we have looked at. The Laocoon for example, shows the precise details that went into defining the muscles on the figures, but unique to the Hellenistic period, shows so much emotion, the contorted face and body show “immense physical and emotional distress” which is an aspect I see as progressive. I mentioned this in my other post, but again the art from this period seems to show more movement. I absolutely see the art from this period as progressive.