Home Forums Hellenistic Variety Hellenistic Variety Reply To: Hellenistic Variety

Valene
Participant

I think Hellenistic art can be regarded as being more individualistic and diverse than Classical Greek art as it goes beyond just the perfect sculpted youthful male and shows more diverse things, i.e. it shows an old woman, children and not perfect male forms. This time period also included some common home scenes with families commissioning artists to sculpt their households. There are also lots of examples of the gods Aphrodite and Dionysus in the Hellenistic art as well as a major emphasis on architecture and paintings. In researching this time period, I read about how the architecture during this time period often had simple homes without windows so they could maintain privacy in the homes. That seems very ironic to me that a home can’t have a window so that all home activities are private and yet all art shows major nudity and exemplifies private body parts that most people would consider to “private’.