Home Forums Who owns the past? Who owns the past? Reply To: Who owns the past?

#6688
ckocsis

This is a difficult question. Personally, I don’t think anyone should “own” the past. I think these things should be accessible to everyone with no specific owner, because I feel like everyone benefits from being able to see these artifacts. However, I don’t really think it’s possible for no one to own these items, and I also think it’s important that they are preserved, which requires someone to preserve them. I understand every angle of this issue. I can understand the idea that the person who found it should own it, because we wouldn’t have the artifact if it hadn’t been found. But I also completely understand that the culture that made the item should own it, because it is directly tied to their history. As for being found on a person’s land, I understand that they would want to keep it, but I think, unless it’s a family heirloom or specifically related to that persons history, it shouldn’t really be theirs. I think everyone should have access to these items, and I think it’s important to have things from different cultures represented in all cultures, like the Kore in Berlin. I think having items from different cultures represented everywhere creates interest in cultures other than our own, And I think that’s very important.