Home Forums Egypt and Mesopotamia Egypt and Mesopotamia Reply To: Egypt and Mesopotamia

#6436
Lucas Warthen

This answer will be slightly similar to my first post – but I will do my best to differentiate the two as much as possible.

First, I think the Egyptians relationship with their gods is extremely evident in nearly all the art they create. From the Palette of King Narmer, all the way to the Books of the Dead in the New Kingdom, the Egyptians always found a way to weave their gods (and their respect for them) into their artwork. In the Palette of King Narmer, the god Horus is depicted as a falcon – which not only represents the rising sun (connected to their most revered god, Ra) but also is depicted as the king of all the birds in the ancient world, which together all shows their amount of respect for their deities. The falcon and many other animals are also depicted on many of the kings / pharaoh’s headdresses.
An example from the New Kingdom is present at the front of the Temple of Ramses II – there are four enormous statues (three standing) of the pharaoh in front of the temple, but centered above the entryway is two carvings of the pharaoh bowing to Ra-Horakhty, which represents the upmost respect (again) for even the highest of the gods. Even though Ramses saw himself as deified, he still had respect for the other gods as well.