Home Forums What is Art? Art History? What is Art? What is Art History? Reply To: What is Art? What is Art History?

#5983
Guy Gaswint
Participant

What is art?
Disagree: The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
I do not disagree completely, I feel the part about art being primarily for beauty or emotional power should also include teaching and history.

Has Merit: The various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
This one is so vague that it is hard to say that it does not have merit. My personal idea is that; if we are all nothing but energy than emotions a intangible expression of our energy. Therefore, art is nothing but a tangible expression of our personal energy.

What is art history?
Art History is the study of human expression — visual, but also tactile, spatial and sometimes aural — through history.
I found this from Carleton University and found it to be very well worded and inclusive.