Home Forums What is Art? Art History? What is Art? What is Art History? Reply To: What is Art? What is Art History?

#5944
Dean Riley

The first definition of art I found was the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful or appealing. Even though I do feel this describes art, I feel the definition does no fully encompass what art can be. There have been many photographs that have captured images of war that I would not describe as being beautiful or appealing, but should be considered art.

The second definition of art is the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects. I feel that this definition better describes art because art does involve some skill and must also include a certain degree of imagination.
I think one of the most beneficial aspects of art history is it can show a great deal of what was happening at that place and time in history. Art has always been an avenue to show the artist’s thoughts on different topics. It allowed people to show opposition to popular topics without the artist having to risk being opening vocal about it.