Home Forums What is Art? Art History? What is Art? What is Art History? Reply To: What is Art? What is Art History?

tmbergan
Participant

What is art?
Disagree- Art, defined by the Cambridge dictionary, is “the making or doing of something whose purpose is to bring pleasure to people through their enjoyment of what is beautiful and interesting, or things often made for this purpose, such as paintings, drawings or sculptures.’ While I do agree with parts of this, I don’t agree that art is always something beautiful. It can be hideous and interesting but definitely isn’t always beautiful if it shows gore or any true horrors.
Agree- Merriam-Webster dictionary says that art is “something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings.’ I believe that this definition is a lot more accurate for what art is. Art could be telling a story to convey powerful emotions, and sometimes those emotions aren’t always going to be beautiful. But it can get the point across show the viewer which emotions the artist may have been feeling as they created the piece.

What is art history and why do we study it? How does it help us to understand the world in which we live?
Art history is the study of history and human development through the means of painting, sculptures, and other forms of visual art. It’s a timeline to show us who we used to be in the past, and how we’ve changed to who we are in the present. Art history is human history shown in visual terms rather than in the form of a textbook. It shows us how humans and societies have changed through war, across borders and decades, and even shows how our definition of beauty has been altered throughout time.