Home Forums What is Art? Art History? What is Art? What is Art History? Reply To: What is Art? What is Art History?

#5868
mbsimington
Participant

1. What is Art?
The first definition is “The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.’ I find that I disagree with this on the grounds that there are many forms of art that aren’t visual. I feel that it completely ignores music as an artform, though I believe it is definitely the most popular, since it’s everywhere (radio, concerts, in movies, etc). The definition I agree with is, “Art is an activity such as music, painting, literature, film, and dance, which people can take part in for enjoyment, or to create works that express certain meanings or ideas of beauty.’ Though it isn’t a perfect definition, as creating one would be difficult due to the subjective nature of the subject, this one definitely makes an attempt, and was by far the closest one I could find to perfect for my personal view.

2. What is Art History?
The definition of art history is fairly self explanatory, as it’s the study of art and its place in the society from which it originates. What isn’t explained in the name is the reasoning behind studying art and the significance art has historically when studying cultures or societies long since past. Art is a form of expression, and as such, the art itself contains many of the feelings and perspectives of the artist. Through analyzing this, we can get a much closer look at what people believed, how they interacted, and how society worked during that time period for the artist. With this knowledge, it becomes possible to see how societies have changed over time, the needs behind certain inventions or innovations, and how they are likely to change in the future.